top of page

Aldeburgh v Ipswich YM Hawks (Friendly) Match Report

Aldeburgh v Ipswich YM Hawks (Friendly)

6th November - Queen’s Field

Result: Aldeburgh 12 Ipswich YM Hawks 17

A Competitive Friendly

Both Aldeburgh and Ipswich YM Hawks have had a positive start to their seasons so were frustrated by not having fixtures as a result of other teams within the Division not being able to find enough players. Ipswich YM enjoyed their league visit to Aldeburgh two weeks ago so much that they were happy to return for a friendly. They were also determined to avenge a narrow defeat.

The match was similar to the league game in that the teams were evenly matched and intensely competitive. Ipswich YM did get off to a much better start than last time (when they were 14-0 down within ten minutes.) In fact, they were the stronger side throughout the match, having the edge in the scrums and winning most of the ball in the loose.

Despite their strength, Aldeburgh held out, thanks to strong tackling and, above all, to a well-organised defence. The benefit of the increase in attendance at training could be seen from the disciplined way the team worked together in defence.

There was no shortage of action, with both sides having moments of pressure in the opposing half but we almost reached half time before the first score, an indication of the quality of the defence rather than of any shortage of attacking intent. Even then, the first try relied on a moment of quick thinking and action by the YM scrum half taking a penalty awarded at a ruck and sprinting over before Aldeburgh had chance to regroup.

Going behind after soaking up so much pressure could have been a turning point but within five minutes Aldeburgh had taken the lead. From a scrum the ball was moved out to Freddie Burgess who continued his impressive season by committing his tackler then slipping the ball out to young winger, Adam Hateley, who finished brilliantly. Ed Robson converted from the touchline despite the strong, blustery wind.

As the wind strengthened it became more of a factor in the second half, blowing mostly in Aldeburgh’s favour. It carried full back, Robert Poll’s, clearance kick well into the YM 22 where Hateley followed up to collect the ball, keeping it alive for a move which ended with Matthew Deane galloping through the YM defence to score under the posts. This time the conversion was missed. 12-5 up early in the second half with the wind in Aldeburgh’s favour. Looking good.

Whether it was the constant YM pressure or just one of those days, Aldeburgh managed to lose the game. After Aldeburgh won a line out, the passing in the backs broke down just inside the Aldeburgh half, gifting the ball to YM who linked well to run through and score. With the conversion missed the scores were level.

What turned out to be the final try was another moment of individual excellence by a YM player. Aldeburgh lost a line out on half way messily, the ball was scooped up by a YM player who then ran from half way, breaking through several tackles to score an unconverted try. It was galling to lose in this way after putting in so many telling tackles throughout the afternoon.

Right to the end, Aldeburgh continued to press but could not find a way through. Both teams did themselves proud, providing tremendous entertainment for a vocal crowd of Aldeburgh supporters who had come straight from the VP Lunch. Full marks to Ipswich YM Hawks for turning up and putting in such a whole-hearted performance.

A word of thanks to referee James Cook, former Aldeburgh player, who again officiated with calm authority, gaining the respect of both teams.


bottom of page