top of page

Aldeburgh v Woodbridge 2

21st October – Queen’s Field

Result: Aldeburgh 67 Woodbridge 12

Another dominant win

Three bonus point wins from three matches place Aldeburgh at second place in the league, the only unbeaten team. We have a good squad of players. If we can regularly field a team we will do well. If they come to training as well, we will be awesome.\

There was only 1 minute and 35 seconds on the clock when Charlie Blakeley, No 8, powered over. It was converted by Danny Collett, back in his old fly half position to replace Ed Robson who was sick. The match was played with uncontested scrums from the start because Woodbridge lacked the requisite front row players. It takes some intensity out of the game but played to the running strengths of the Aldeburgh back row.

The match was being played entirely in the Woodbridge half. A 22 drop out by them was taken by full back Stephen Anker who set off on another of his mazy runs, linking with Callum Goodwin in the centre who got close to the line. The initiative was taken up by the forwards with another strong run from Charlie who passed to second row Peter Mann to drive over. Danny again converted.

Woodbridge showed some penetration when a long kick by Danny Collett was run back for half the length of the pitch before the runner was finally tackled. More Aldeburgh pressure led to a penalty near the line which was tapped, driven by the forwards, then moved to Fred Precious, playing his second game at scrum half, who wriggled over. Another conversion took the score to 21-0 with 20 minutes played. The backs got involved when the ball was moved out to Adam Hateley on the wing who linked well with Ollie Pick at outside centre but the final ball was knocked on. After an interception by Danny, Adam nearly scored the try of the day by running half the pitch to score only to be brought all the way back for a prior knock on.

As the half wore on, Woodbridge began to get back in the game, eventually moving the ball from a line out to enable their backs to barge over for a converted try. It didn’t last long. A relieving kick by Woodbridge was again run back by Stephen Anker leading to a ruck penalty which in turn led to the ‘reunion’ try. Damian Robertson, lock, tapped and passed to James Cook, flanker, who scored. Danny kicked the conversion. All three had returned to playing this season after a break.

Another converted try by Peter Mann gave a half time score of 35-7.

Woodbridge started the second half well with several driving runs. Eventually their No 12, perhaps their best player, made a break down the wing to score in the corner. It was not converted. It turned out to be Woodbridge’s final score.

The kick off was knocked on. Charlie Blakeley picked up from the back of the ensuing scrum, ran from the 10 metre line and scored. The rest of the half continued in this vein. Strong runs by the Aldeburgh forwards were mixed up with increasingly slick interchanges by the backs with Callum Goodwin and Stephen Anker making incisive runs. Tries were scored at regular intervals by Fred Precious, Jon Hunt, Elliott Clarke-Gifford, Stephen Anker and Callum Goodwin. The final try was converted by James Cook, taking on the kicking responsibilities for the first time in a while.

A special word of thanks to Paddy Allen who refereed the match in the absence of a society ref. It is not an easy role to take on but Paddy handled it calmly and competently. The game cannot be played without a referee.

Next match: Saturday 28th October Away to Colchester 4. (Aldeburgh’s chance to go to the top of the table as it is the only match being played this weekend.)

Next home match: Saturday 11th November v Ipswich 3. Preceded by VP Lunch.


bottom of page